Global Specialties Corp 5001 Universal Counter Timer - Tested and Functional
5001 Universal Counter Timer - designed for the electronic measurement and display of frequency, period, time interval, and counted events. The unit has two input channels with full signal conditioning, including attenuators, slope selection and variable trigger level. We have tested the unit and found it to pass the typical functional test listed below.
Cash Sale No Holds Call or Text
Measurement /Capabilities of the 5001
- Frequency. Measures to 10 MHz in four ranges. Selectable gate times of .01 , 0.1, 1.0 or 10 seconds. Display indicates frequency at A input in kilohertz.
- Period. Measures period of signal at A input, 400 ns to 10 s. Measures single cycle or averages over 10,100 or 1000 cycles. Display indicates time in microseconds.
- Frequency Ratio. Counts number of cycles occurring at A input (to 10 MHz) during 1 cycle at B input (2 MHz), or averages the ratio over 10,100 or 1000 cycles at B. Useful for scaling measurements. Display indicates ratio FA/FB.
- Time Interval. Measures time between selected signal edge occurring at A input (starts measurement) and selected edge occurring at B input (ends measurement), up to 10 s. May average over 1, 10, 100 or 1000 intervals.
- Event Count. Counts up to 99,999,999 events at up to 10 MHz. "Run" push button enables counter, with running count continuously displayed; when "Hold" button is pushed, displayed count is frozen while counting continues. Returns to continuous display of accumulated count with "Run". Reset zeros count.
- Delay. Variable control causes 75 ms to 7.5 s delay between measurement cycles to facilitate viewing, recording of displayed readings. Detent position freezes display indefinitely following next measurement cycle.
- Full signal conditioning on both inputs. Both inputs incorporate x1 , x1 0, x100 selectable attenuator, + I - slope selector, variable trigger level control. Both are 1MD @ 25pF, DC coupled.
- Bright B-digit display. 0.43-inch LED displays, driven for high visibility. Decimal point position gives frequency measurements in kHz, time measurements in microseconds. Discrete LED indicators show overflow (count exceeds 99,999,999) and gate-open conditions.
Note: The full manual manual available online for download. If you need assistance, bring a USB drive. We are including a copy of the function/specifications sheet.
Basic setup for quick testing:
1.) Prepare the unit with these settings:
- DELAY pot (upper-left): fully counterclockwise
- Function pushbutton (gray): push in the FREQ (left-most) button
- Timebase pushbuttons (white): push in the 1.0 (third from left) button
- TRIG LEVEL pot (right of display): line on knob vertical
2.) Turn the counter on. The numeric display should come on, reading all zeros. The GATE LED should come on for one second, then off briefly, then on again, repeating that cycle. Rotating the DELAY pot should increase the time between gate activations (when the LED comes on).
3.) Return the DELAY pot to its fully counter-clockwise position.
4.) Repeat the above tests for GATE times of 0.1 and 10. seconds. The LED should remain on for the selected period.
The same would be true for .01 seconds but that's too fast to see.
If these tests are successful, the counter is working OK.